Thursday, November 29, 2007

Zoobilee Zoo and Captain Kangaroo

We had a visitor at work earlier this week who looked a lot like Captain Kangaroo. I mentioned this to Staci at lunch, which led to the topic of 1980s children's television. She said that her favorite show as a child was Zoobilee Zoo (see full cast, left). When she described it a bit, I realized that this was a show I also loved as a very young child, but had never been able to find again in my adult life, as I had no idea what it was called. I remember seeing it only a few times, but absolutely loving it, particularly the character below who I always thought was a cat but was apparently actually Whazzat Kangaroo. (In my defense, she looks a lot like a cat -- cat ears, cat tail...) I also was a fan of the character who I thought was a racoon, but was really Bill der Beaver. It's exciting to finally rediscover this gem. Of course I looked for it on youtube, and there are actually several full episodes available. I started to watch one, but it turns out it's actually pretty boring and predictable. Not surprising, I guess, given that it went off the air in 1987 and I was therefore only three when I would have watched it (although maybe I was watching reruns). It is focused around a group of people in animal suits, who are called Zoobles. The viewers, for some reason, are addressed as Zoobaroos by the mayor (in center of picture above), who helps sum up the moral lessons learned by the characters in each episode. To the viewer above the age of 4, it's pretty trite and has annoying songs, but it's nevertheless satisfying to finally answer one of those little questions that's been bothering me for years (what WAS that weird show with the animal suits??)

Does anyone else remember this fantastic program?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

those people are terrifying. you are crazy.

"MasterClaw" said...

I, too, remember Zoobilee Zoo! For some strange reason, I always remembered the name Ben Vereen (the broadway actor who played Mayor Ben, the leopard) from that show, though I had no idea who he was until years later. I have not checked YouTube for videos yet, but now I think I'll have to!

DeKal said...

My absolute fav as a kid!!! I still remember the stupid theme song...lol... If I ever have kids I'm totally going to have to find these on DVD somewhere for them!!! lol

Anonymous said...

I just spoke with Sandey Grinna few weeks ago. Heck of a nice guy. When I first watched this show I was ABOVE age 4 (I was probably 10 to 12). It could be a little more teen oriented, but some of the episodes are pretty corny. I did like Bill Der Beaver and Whazzat Kangaroo though.

Anonymous said...

I had a crush on Whazzat when I was a kid haha.

corina said...

I too have been looking forever for this show. i remembered the animal costumes but had no idea the name of the show. i was about 5 when i must have seen it but i remember loving it.

Unknown said...

OMG, I've been looking foerver! I knew what it was and what all the animals were. I was trying to explian it to my wife the other day, and this will sooo help! and you said youtube DOES have some vids?

~Freya

Anonymous said...

Yea I loved this show too when I was young. Then rediscovered it 8 years ago, memorized the theme song with my cousins, made up a dance to it, and watched many of the episodes even though it was boring. Oh middle school!! I'm research furries for a fashion design project and am going to use Zoobilee Zoo as inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I too remembered watching this show when I was very young but couldn't remember the name of it. Everytime I tried to explain it to someone no one knew what I was talking about. It bothered me for years trying to remember the name of this show and I just found it a few days ago and I'm so excited. I loved this show! I want the video tape!