Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm So Euro

Evidence:

1. I no longer regularly translate prices from kroner into dollars in my head. This makes me cringe less when buying things, especially given that the dollar is dropping like a stone (5.0??? seriously??) The other day, for example, upon buying an Irish coffee for 42 kroner, I thought to myself, wow, that's such a good deal! Then I thought, wait a minute, that's actually more than $8, for a pretty small drink... not something I would have EVER classified as a good price in the states. But here, that's really pretty reasonable. (By the way, did you know that the proper Irish way to drink an Irish coffee is without a straw? We were a bit insulted the other day when we had a different bartender than usual and he tried to give us straws.)

2. I know my exact weight in kilograms (since there are scales on the treadmills at my gym), but would have to think a bit to translate that into pounds. (I'd just as soon not, though...)

3. I wear legwarmers for their intended purpose, legwarming, during my daily bicycle commute when I wear skirts. Of course, the daily bicycle commute is another piece of evidence on its own, too.

4. It makes me distinctly uncomfortable when I'm with Americans who insist on crossing against the light when there are no cars around. "But, the light is red...!"

5. I light candles like it's my job. Even while I eat breakfast. And I just bought an advent candle... with a little line for each day in December, so you burn a bit more each day.

6. I could never make myself run down to the grocery store right next to my building in a sweatshirt or something. Or without makeup.

7. I never forget to put the little divider thing on the belt as soon as I put my groceries on. And I get pissed if others (obviously foreigners) do.

8. Oh yeah, and I eat open-faced ryebread sandwiches with cream cheese, tomato, and cucumber for lunch every day.

Probably there are more things. That's what I can think of at the moment. But I'm definitely still an Amerikansk pige -- I refuse to do dishes the plastic-tub-in-a-sink way, for example. I just don't see WHY this works better. So I'm holding onto my roots :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LEGWARMERS!!!!!!! seriously?