Sunday, November 11, 2007

Denmark is really, really small

So, I started this blog when I first came to Denmark 3.5 months ago, but haven't gotten around to posting until now. So here goes, with no real introduction.

When I talk to random Danes, one of the first things they usually ask me is, "So why did you come to Denmark? It's so small!" I don't really get why they have such a complex about this, as far as I can tell the size of a country doesn't really matter for ones day-to-day life, but it is true that it's a pretty damn small country. Point of evidence: Celebrities are everywhere. On Friday evening, my friends and I were having dinner at La Galette, a French crepe place, when Sidse Babett Knudsen, pretty much like the most famous actress in Denmark (see pic), came in with her little son and sat at a table a meter or so away from us. Thing is, if you're famous in Denmark, you probably live in Copenhagen, and Copenhagen isn't really that big, so you see famous people a lot if you know who they are. Of course, an American like me usually doesn't know who they are, since famous Danes are not typically all that famous on a global scale. I've seen 3 of S.B.K.'s movies, but I'm still not sure if I would have recognized her if I hadn't been with a "real Dane" who pointed her out. It was exciting though, and interesting to see how polite the Danes in the restaurant were about leaving her alone -- I feel like a star of a similar caliber in the US would be mobbed, or at least stared at more.

Anyway, I'm late to a brunch, so that's it for now...

No comments: