Monday, June 16, 2008

Copenhagen: The world's most livable city

Monocle magazine has released it's 2008 list of the world's top 20 most livable cities, and Copenhagen has emerged as #1, displacing last year's winner, Munich. See this article and this blog post (from Copenhagen cycle chic, my favorite blog on the topic of Copenhagen's bicycle culture!) I'm also happy to see that Minneapolis is the only US city to make the cut (well, glad that it's Minneapolis, but somewhat ashamed that the US only has one city on the list, and that's at #19. Maybe it's all the Scandinavian influence in Minnesota?) It's some comfort that upon my (all too quickly approaching...) arrival in the US, I'll be going to the best city in the country!

What else... I just got back from Amsterdam on Thursday night, having had quite a pleasant week among the Dutch on an HIV-related study tour with a group of 23 students. It was particularly exciting to be there when Holland beat Italy in soccer for the first time in 30 years or something like that. And 3-0 at that!

On Saturday I went with another group of students to Malmö for the day, which was fine. There isn't all that much to do there, it's basically a suburb of Copenhagen. But I had a nice time walking around; it's a cute town with some nice old half-timbered buildings. Also enjoyed laughing at the funny-sounding Swedish being spoken around me, and seeing everyone decked out in their blue and yellow for the Sweden-Spain match that evening (Sweden lost). Then that night I went to a fun CD-release party for my friend's boyfriend's band. It was in a parking garage under a mall... weird.

Not too much more going on, just working a lot and getting ready for the next study tour, which will be to London, with another HIV class. Tomorrow I'm doing another women's race, this one put on by the magazine Alt for Damerne, and trying 10k this time -- we'll see how that goes, since I haven't worked out since before the last study tour...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nıce web site

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Minneapolis! Go, Copenhagen!

-jp

Anonymous said...

Nice, but why wasn't Northfield, Minnesota, on the list of livable cities? I've lived there for many years and am still alive.