Thursday, January 31, 2008

Copenhagen vanity

In Copenhagen, all of the electrical wires are buried, instead of running overhead like in American cities. It's an aesthetic issue, and I guess overhead wires are somewhat unsightly, although I don't really tend to notice them personally. However, this means that whenever they need to do anything to the wires they have to dig up the whole street, which seems like a lot of work and inconvenience just to shield people from the eyesore of exposed wiring. It also apparently takes forever for them to fix these things, so the road will remain partially blocked off for months -- probably because unemployment is so low that they can't find anybody to do this kind of work. There's a place I ride by whenever I go to Danish where one lane of the road is all dug up and blocked off; it's been this way since I got here but I've never seen anybody actually working on it. Granted, that may be because I only go by after work and on Saturdays, so maybe it's just that they're not there when I go by -- but there also never appear to be any changes, so who knows. There has also been construction going on on the street outside my work ever since I first got here, which means that people driving by get stuck behind parked trucks, etc, and deal with it by honking nonstop on their horns for minutes on end. Which is annoying, since it's right outside my window. But what can you do. At least it's not quite as loud now as in the summer when I kept my window open.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in Minnesota we put our wires out in public for all to see. Except in rich places like Edina, where they are hidden away like dark family secrets. What do the Danes have to hide, anyway?